Friday, November 16, 2007

The Hilarity Continues

Today the boys wanted to be the teachers. (Little Pumpkin was sulking at the language arts table.) And who am I to argue with such a terrific opportunity to see what they think about our little school-day routine? First they team-"read" their favorite story, Goldilocks and the Three Bears, while Philosophical T.A. and I sat on the Story Time rug and practiced being Good Listeners. (First we couldn't resist the opportunity to imitate their customary squirrley-ness by talking and moving around. "No! You have to be good listeners!" they said.) After Story Time we had Discovery Time, in which Mr. Little Sweetie Sahib and Mr. Little Darlin' Sahib reviewed rhyming words with us kids. Mr. Little Sweetie had the easy picture cards: bat/hat, but Mr. Little Darlin' had "juice," which for whatever reason is more of a challenge.

Our giggling started with "Juice/jug."

After confirming that juice/jug do have the same initial sound, I suggested to Mr. Little Darlin' that he keep looking through the cards. "Juice . . . cup!" Philosophical T.A. bit her hand to stop the laugh. "Juice . . . boat." I looked studiously at my lap and tried to breathe slowly. The final straw was "juice/alligator!" I collapsed in a heap and Ph.T.A. doubled over with giggles.

Our Teacher Sahibs were not amused; we tried to collect ourselves. When we finally got it together they set out all the picture cards in a long row (mostly correctly matching the rhymes--yay!) and shouted "Good job!!"

Later in the day the boys were still at it, graciously telling Ph.T.A. and I that we could go play with blocks while they were having Pakistan Studies with another teacher. Even Little Pumpkin got in on the action, trying to go herself to the office to fill her water bottle--I was a "kid," after all. I finally convinced her to go sit down for Pak Studies by telling her I would pretend to be a teacher and go to the office for her. (I think my disguise was successful, but one never knows.)

. . . and today's random rant:

Who the hell taught the Littles that obedient = morally good?!

I'll cop to occassionally saying "good listeners" instead of "using good listening;" I'm sure I look pleased when they do as they're asked; I thank them for following rules, I call them Sweetheart and Honey (whether they're behaving or not); I say things like "good job!", "good idea," "you're being very responsible," and "I appreciate that"--yes, they do know what "appreciate" means. However, I have never used the phrase "good boy" or "good girl" with them, or told them they were "being good." Neither has Philosophical T.A. I specifically avoid it, and yet twice today, when I was trying to corral them and Little Darlin' lined up quietly, he said to me "I am a good boy."

Little dude, you're always good--even when you won't hush up and sit still.

Seems we need to have a talk.

No comments: