M., who works as a driver for Director Sahib and Teacher Begum, is a first-time proud papa!
I always get so excited about these things--I've been asking the poor guy for weeks, "How's your wife? Do you have a baby yet?" The little one came a bit "late" (a couple weeks after the projected due date), and Teacher Begum and I have been eagerly awaiting news.
Apparently it is the norm here to put a woman in the hospital on her due date and keep her until she delivers. Way to go for not doing "drive-through delivery" a-la the U.S., but I imagine expectant moms going nuts in there for days or weeks. (M.'s been looking a little weary himself, working during the day and spending the nights in a chair next to his wife's hospital bed.)
About two days ago I was joking with M. about the long wait (and my eager pestering) when he asked for my cell number. I gave it to him and he laughed and said, "Teekeh. I have a baby, I call you." Then today during the kids' naptime he called! I didn't recognize the number at first, but knew his voice instantly. "How are you?!" I asked him expectantly. "I'm fine, ma'am. I have a baby."
[It's a boy, by the way.]
Well I just burst with the news, immediately telling the kids (who were still awake), my T.A., and then trotting down the hall to tell all the other faculty (except for Director Sahib & Teacher Begum, whom M. had already called). So it's off to buy a suitable gift this weekend. Also, the proud parents have not yet settled on a name, and M. has asked the faculty to submit 2 suggestions apiece by Friday. (Roomie said he'd told her a son would be named Mohammad, so maybe they're working on a middle name? Dunno.)
Feel free to add your own ideas in the comments--Pakistani and/or Islamic boys' names by Thursday evening, your time.
Wednesday, October 24, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment