When Roomie opened the door we saw a little girl, no older than 7, standing on the landing with a saran-wrap-covered bowl of halva. A milad* gift from #17. Who lives in #17? We have no idea, but we're glad for the sweet, yummy halva, still warm from the stove. The more I think about it though, the more obvious it is to me that a) it was probably made by their cook and b) it was clearly delivered by the little daughter of the family's maid. Am I a complete ingrate for feeling uncomfortable about this?
I am continually startled, not only by how common it is for middle and wealthy class families to employ (several) household staff, but also at how young some are. Women who earn their living as domestic workers often bring along their daughters to help with cleaning or to mind the employer's small children; I can't count the number of times I've been in a restaurant or grocery store and seen girls of ten or twelve caring for a baby or toddler while their employer shops or enjoys a meal out. These girls are mostly from families who have migrated to The Lovely City from a village. They're also invariably much darker-complected than those who employ them. It's no surprise and yet it's still depressing that racism and classism are just as rampant, and just as intricately linked, here as they are at home.
In pointing out this phenomenon and my discomfort with it, I don't mean to stand in judgment of families whose economic situation is such that sending their little kids out to work (there are plenty of working boys, too) becomes necessary for survival. Still, I can't quite get over my internal reaction every time I see such a young face working in domestic service.
Anyway, for the little one on our landing I dug out a candy bar while Roomie spooned halva into a dish so she could return the serving bowl. "Aap ke liye," (for you) I said, proferring a Mars Bar. The girl smiled shyly and moved toward the stairs, protesting the offering. Roomie urged her to take it. "Aap ke liye," I repeated. After about 15 seconds of this the little girl took the candy and the serving bowl and went back down the stairs. I hope she gets to eat it.
* Today was Bara Rabi-ul Awwal, the Advent of the Prophet.
Friday, March 21, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment