Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Once again I am fine

There have been two more bomb blasts in TLC. (Three? I'm getting information second- and third-hand.) I know one was the Federal Investigation Agency building, the others I'm not sure. I think one was at the High Court, but I haven't been able to confirm that yet. (This all happened an hour or so ago, and I'm at school.)

I suspect getting these repeated updates that "there has been another explosion, but . . ." is not terribly comforting. As Choti Bhen put it in her response to my last call (less than 10 days ago!!), "I get these messages from you, 'I'm OK but . . . .' I can never sleep after that, but I'd rather hear it from you than from somebody else." Indeed.

It is still government and military targets being attacked, not other types of civilian locations. In that sense, I am somewhat comforted, as I am rarely very near to any such installation. Right now I'm thinking of those who are . . . many, many construction workers, office workers, passersby, janitorial and other maintenance staff, delivery personnel, guards, parking attendants and doormen, and of course, the soldiers, police officers, judges, and others. I feel so much grief for them, for so many reasons. As Papa Pidgeon said to me in an email, the people of Pakistan deserve better.

No comments: